This monument to Wilhelm von Tegetthoff stands next to the railway station Praterstern in Vienna. The designer of the column was Carl von Hasenauer. The statue is a work by Carl Kundmann. Wilhelm von Tegetthoff was an Austrian admiral and became famous for the victory of Lissa (1866). [German]
I’m impressed by the six naval rams decorating the memorial, which remind me of the style of Roman monuments (columna rostrata) for naval victories.
Sources / More Info
- Wilhelm von Tegetthoff (Wikipedia)
- Carl von Hasenauer (Wikipedia)
- Carl Kundmann (Wikipedia)
- Battle of Lissa (Wikipedia)
- travel-by-photos.com (Photo 1)