This monument to Wilhelm von Tegetthoff stands next to the railway station Praterstern in Vienna. The column was designed by Carl von Hasenauer, the statue is a work by Carl Kundmann. Wilhelm von Tegetthoff was an Austrian admiral and became famous for the victory of Lissa (1866).
I’m especially impressed by the six naval rams decorating the memorial which remind me of the style of Roman monuments (columna rostrata) for naval victories.
Sources / More Info
- Wilhelm von Tegetthoff (Wikipedia)
- Carl von Hasenauer (Wikipedia)
- Carl Kundmann (Wikipedia)
- Battle of Lissa (Wikipedia)
- travel-by-photos.com (Photo 1)